Greene County Cemetery Records
This page contains records of Greene County cemeteries. Each summary is accompanied by one or more accessable files containing extended biographical and burial information.
Andrew Johnson National Cemetery (Civil War Soldier Interments)
The Andrew Johnson National Cemetery is composed of approximately fifteen acres as deeded to the Federal government in 1898. The history of the site dates back to its ownership by the Johnson family. In 1852 Andrew Johnson purchased twenty-three acres, in three parcels, from John Maloney in what was then “western Greeneville”. The site was known for its panoramic view of the countryside, hence its use as “Signal Hill” during the Civil War.
Legend has it that this site was once an old Indian burial ground. Numerous Indian artifacts have been discovered on this farm, and the legend may very well be true. In recorded times, the land was once a part of the large holdings of Revolutionary War soldier, John Gass (1758-1840), who is buried in the Gass Graveyard, now the old section of Cross Anchor cemetery.
Hendry (aka Bowman Springs) Cemetery
When Buford Reynolds and his team of volunteers surveyed Greene County Cemeteries in the 1960’s, the Cemetery was recorded as the ‘Hendry Cemetery’. However, the Civil War Tombstone Applications for brothers Elias (1838-1877) and Leonard Rhea (1840-1870) who have Union tombstones there stated their burial site as “Bowman Springs Cemetery”.
Mount Bethel Presbyterian Church Cemetery
When the Scots-Irish Covenanters arrived in the place that would become the village of Greeneville, most brought few things with them. What they did bring was their religion. The first Presbyterian Church in Greeneville was established in 1780 and was named Mt. Bethel.
Oakland Presbyterian Church Cemetery
Although Oakland Presbyterian Church was not an early Church and its existence was short lived, some of those buried in the Cemetery – the Moore and the Doak families – were among the earliest surnames who settled the area now known today as Greene County, Tennessee.